Mistakes to avoid while you are a NEW READER
These mistakes that you are doing while reading will not help you in reading while you are still developing a reading habit
We all know reading has so many benefits. But reading is not natural to many people and they struggle a lot to develop a reading habit. Though they desperately want to develop the habit of reading.
Here are some of the mistakes that you should avoid while you are developing a reading habit.
- Don’t read in the dark or in dim lighting.
- Don't read where there is so much distraction. Read in calm surroundings, where no TV or radio or music is on in the background that causes you a distraction.
- When you first begin, avoid reading late at night when you are already tired and sleepy. Rather read early morning.
- It’s not a good idea to read in bed. Many people may appear to be doing that, but keep in mind that they are already masters of the reading game and already in love with reading. Don’t do it while you’re still getting into the habit of reading. The ideal option is to read while sitting on the couch or on a chair.
- Don’t keep books, in a location where it is not visible to you. Keep books in a visible, easily accessible location where you will be reminded to read them.
- When you’re just getting into reading, don’t start with difficult literature, or tough and long books, start with easy small books with stories.
- Don’t start with what people around you are reading. They might be already good readers. When you first begin, read stuff that you enjoy until you develop a passion for reading. It could be comic books, newspapers, magazines, or novels written in a plain and easy-to-understand language.
- Don’t start with the digital version of reading. Start with the paperback form of any reading material. You will fall in love with reading because of the feel and touch of books.
- Don’t do gaps in your reading days. Make a routine to read every day. Read for a fixed duration and at a fixed time every day.